What is the difference between ad‑blockers and ad‑filters?
By using ad-blocker programs to protect yourself against intrusive online advertising you inadvertently create existential difficulties for many providers of quality content.
An ad-filter is different. It protects you without completely disabling advertising. It is a sustainable alternative to the non-transparent business model of previous ad-blocker programs. It’s based on µBlock, a state-of-the-art ad-blocker, and delivers some important features for your user–empowerment on top. The plugin gives you the choice between „zero ads“ and „maximal contribution“.
Humancredit ad-filter users can:
- Block all ads
- Stop only intrusive ads
- Accept fair ads from ethically engaged companies
- Give a feedback to ads
- Maximize contributions with a user profile
- Create donations with ad-impressions, feedbacks and other options
What is IAB & OBA?
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) empowers the media and marketing industries to thrive in the digital economy. It is comprised of more than 650 leading media and technology companies that are responsible for selling, delivering, and optimizing digital advertising or marketing campaigns. Together, they account for 86 percent of online advertising in the United States. (Source)
The self‑regulatory principles for online behavioral advertising (OBA) are as follows:
- The education principle calls for organizations to participate in efforts to educate individuals and businesses about online behavioral advertising and the Principles.
- The transparency principle calls for clearer and easily accessible disclosures to consumers about data collection [...].
- The consumer control principle provides consumers with an expanded ability to choose whether data is collected and used for online behavioral advertising purposes [...].
- The data security principle calls for organizations to provide appropriate security for, and limited retention of data [...].
- The material changes principle calls for obtaining consumer consent before a Material Change is made [...].
- The sensitive data principle recognizes that data collected from children and used for online behavioral advertising merits heightened protection [...].
- The accountability principle calls for development of programs to further advance these Principles [...].
What is the UN Global Compact?
The UN Global Compact is a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies with ten universally accepted principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. By doing so, business, as a primary driver of globalization, can help ensure that markets, commerce, technology and finance advance in ways that benefit economies and societies everywhere. (Source)
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact are:
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights;
- make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- the effective abolition of child labour; and
- the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
What is the Section 52 of the Fiscal Code of Germany?
The Section 52 regulates which purposes are recognized as public-benefit purposes according to the german law.
"A corporation shall serve public-benefit purposes if its activity is dedicated to the altruistic advancement of the general public in material, spiritual or moral respects. It shall not be deemed an advancement of the general public if the group of persons benefiting from such advancement is circumscribed, for instance by membership of a family or the workforce of an enterprise, or can never be other than small as a result of its definition, especially in terms of geographical or professional attributes. Advancement of the general public may not be contended merely because a corporation allocates its funds to a public-law entity." (Source)
The following purposes are the ones that Humancredit has chosen to start with:
- Science and research
- art and culture
- upbringing, adult education and vocational training including assistance for students
- nature conservation and of landscape management
- relief for people persecuted on political, racial or religious grounds, for refugees, etc.
- internationalism, of tolerance in all areas of culture and of the concept of international understanding
- development cooperation.
What can you tell me about Online Advertising Spendings?
Spending for digital advertising is rising rapidly. But the ad-industry is both profitable and inefficient at the same time. Since people ignore ads, many ad-dollars have turned into ad-wastage. In 2014 the spendings for display ads in Germany were €1.600 million (Source: Statista 2015) and in USA €21.800 million (Source: Statista 2015, eMarketer).
What is Creative Commons?
Creative Commons is a global nonprofit organization that enables sharing and reuse of creativity and knowledge through the provision of free legal tools. Their legal tools help those who want to encourage reuse of their works by offering them for use under generous, standardized terms; those who want to make creative uses of works; and those who want to benefit from this symbiosis. Their vision is to help others realize the full potential of the internet. (Source)
What are fair and acceptable ads?
- allow users to deactivate them
- reward users for their engagement
- comply with ethical principles
- respect privacy and feelings of web users
- enable a revenue stream for content creators
- help brands to reduce unnecessary ad-wastage
Acceptable ads are:
- Not intrusive
- Not disrupting or obstructing the content
- Clearly recognizable as an advertisment
- Effective without being unnessacary distracting
- Appropriate in the context they appear